Are doubts getting in the way of realizing your goals? Do you find yourself wondering how you can possibly achieve what you truly desire? You are not alone! Most people consciously or subconsciously sabotage the achievement of their goals. I am excited to share an effective approach to affirm your goals, so that you can manifest your heart’s desire with greater ease!
You may have watched the movie “YES Man”, a comedy from 2008, starring Jim Carrey as Carl Allen. Carl’s life is going nowhere, the operative word being “no”, until he signs up for a self-help program based on one simple covenant: say yes to everything and anything. Unleashing the power of “YES” begins to transform Carl’s life in amazing and unexpected ways, getting him promoted at work and opening the door to a new romance.
While Carl’s blind trust in the word YES eventually gets him into trouble, the story stuck with me and keeps reminding me of the transformational power of words.
Grow Your Body Awareness
I don’t recommend saying YES to everything and everyone. However, I encourage you to selectively tap into the power of YES. Before I share a simple, yet powerful way to affirm your goals, let’s do a quick experiment to grow your body awareness:
- Say the word YES a few times. Say it out loud and then continue saying YES internally over and over. Notice the sensations in your body as you are soaking in the energy of YES. What are you feeling? Where in your body are you noticing these sensations most strongly? Write down what you experienced.
- Now, say the word NO a few times. Say it out loud and then continue saying NO internally over and over. Notice the sensations in your body as you immerse yourself in the energy of NO. What are you feeling? Where in your body are you noticing these sensations most strongly? Jot down your NO experience and compare it with your YES experience.
Do you find it challenging to tune into your body’s sensations? Here are a few words to help identify your body’s sensations: light, heavy, tight, tense, expansive, open, warm, cold, tingly, calm, agitated, flowing, stuck.
When I did this experiment with my career coaching client, Eve (not her real name) she noticed an expansive, glowing feeling in her heart when she said YES. She was able to breathe deeply and fully. When Eve said NO, her shoulders went up and she felt tightness and tension in her neck accompanied by a shortness of breath.
Affirm Your Goals with YES
Now that you’ve experienced the power of YES in your body, let’s use it to strengthen one of your goals and make it easier for you to follow through and achieve what you truly desire.
- Articulate your goal in the present tense, bring up the vision and feeling of your goal being accomplished. Tune into your body and feel the sensations that your accomplished goal evokes in you.
- Then say YES a few times internally or out loud and feel the sensations of YES in your body.
- Now alternate back and forth between connecting with your accomplished goal and with YES. As you do, you are building and strengthening connections between these two experiences. You are essentially affirming your goal as already being realized.
You may want to incorporate this practice of affirming your goal into your daily routine. It’s helpful to tag your goal affirmation practice onto something that you are already doing daily, such as your morning coffee or your daily commute. What time and activity will work best for you? Create a reminder for yourself, to make it easier for you to follow through with your commitment.