Have you ever wondered how to achieve your big goals, such as finding a career that truly fulfills you, creating a positive relationship, or running a successful business? You are not alone! Today I want to share an insight I gained at choir practice. May this insight shed light on how to achieve your big goals with ease and joy.
During a choir practice all of us in the alto section were struggling to reach a particularly high note. Our voices sounded squeaky and strained. Shivon, one of our choir leaders encouraged us to see ourselves above the high note we were trying to sing and to imagine landing right on top of it.
Once we embraced this image, we were able to sing this high pitch clear and strong. It sounded so beautiful! I experienced a visceral shift in my body during this choir practice, from a tense reaching, grasping feeling to a feeling of ease and lightness. Now, I was able to sing this high note with ease and grace and so were all the other altos.
I realized then, that I’ve applied this technique all along in my life. It has served me well in achieving the big goals that seemed out of reach at the time, such as making my dream career a reality. This simple mind shift is one of the key elements when it comes to learning how to achieve your big goals with ease.
So often your highest hopes and greatest dreams seem out of reach, just like the high pitch notes in choir. How can you possibly get there? A shift in perspective is a great start. What might be possible, if you imagined landing on top of your big goal with the ease and lightness of a bird?
Here’s How to Achieve Your Big Goals with Ease and Joy
- Take a moment to connect with a goal, dream or hope that intimidates you.
- Notice, from which vantage point you are looking at your goal, dream or hope. My guess is that you see it somewhere high above or far in the distance.
- Allow yourself to rise above this goal, dream or hope in your imagination, as if you were a graceful bird. Let yourself float above and land right on top of it, having achieved in your imagination, what seemed out of reach minutes ago.
- Notice how you feel in your body as you inhabit this place.
- From having landed squarely on top of your desired destination, take a moment to look back or down. Notice the stepping stones along the way and decide which step you want to take next.
- Take action on the step you identified, while staying connected with the feeling of having already achieved your goal.
- Whenever you notice your body tensing up as you take steps towards your big goal, simply revisit the perspective of landing on top of your desired destination.
Now you know how to achieve your big goals with ease. Enjoy the journey ahead just as much as the thrill of arriving at your destination.
P.S. If you want to continue receiving this valuable content, simply fill out the circle beside the post.
Julia James is a certified life coach and award-winning author of the book, The Mini-Retreat Solution. With over ten years experience coaching people through positive career transformations, Julia is passionate about helping people connect with their true calling.